cff

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Character Design: Week 2 Exercises

Today's character design class was a lot of fun. I learned a lot about how shapes inside characters can change how they are depicted. Also the types of colours. We got to practice with this idea of shapes changing the mood of a character.

The first exercise involved taking an existing character and changing some of their shapes to make them be portrayed differently. For example, if you got a character made of squares and circles you had to make the circles more pointed (like triangles) to make this character less friendly and more dangerous.

I got Dr Facilier from The Princess and the Frog. I started off by roughly drawing out the shapes that make him so that I knew what I had to change. He is made of squares and lots of triangles which makes him strong but villianous. I tried to make him stay strong but seem more friendly so I curved shapes to make them more circular.

 
Photobucket

I then got Homer Simpson for our next exercise which was to do with the range of very simple to realistic characters. Homer seems in the middle of this spectrum to me so I took him to the very humanised side. I also did a similar thing with Krusty the Clown. They do look quite creepy looking now!

 

Photobucket 

No comments: