cff

Monday 2 April 2012

Webster the Yucca Plant Experimentation

More plasticine experimentation, but this time with the plant that will become giddy. I thought this would be a useful technique to help me figure out how this plant will move to create each emotion so between each photograph I would have the model reenact the emotion. Some of these definitely need more exaggeration but like my daffodil I will apply this in the drawings I can now create from these models.
Photobucket
Regular Webster, I did like this but I thought this could go further and so I ended up with the result below.
Photobucket
When I manipulated the model into this it struck me that it sort of looks like a jester! After some googling these pictures particularly interested me and I think I could use them to help me with Webster's characterisation.

Image Detail
I like how the hat of this jester flops down, maybe I could apply this to Webster's leaves when I thicken them up in my drawings.

Image Detail
I liked this one too because of the walk, I want Webster to strut over to Delilah but I want him to look a bit silly doing it and the push out of the torso and the jester's bells jingling could be applied to Webster's movement. His trunk puffed out and his leaves swinging in the air like the bells.
Photobucket
Webster struck with an idea. The stretching of the trunk and the leaves rising a bit is meant to simulate this but I think all in all this movement would be easier to show from actually making it into frames in my animation
Photobucket
Webster gussying up/ combing leaves.
Photobucket
Checking himself out. This one results from the combing. It doesn't quite work out for him but the curls simulate his effort. A bit like Tom in Tom and Jerry with his straightening of his whiskers which actually looks pretty silly! The actually checking it out I feel requires real movement
though.
Photobucket
Webster trying to woo Delilah. He still has the curls in his leaves showing his trying to impress her and his 'chest' is puffed out in an attempt to look tougher/stronger.
Photobucket
Stunned/shocked after kiss.
Photobucket
Leap/jump of celebration
Photobucket
Flipping
Photobucket
Skipping. Again this needs actual movement but the leaves in the whoosh of air is there.
Photobucket
Satisfied/content during the second kiss.

1 comment:

Miss Butler said...

These are EPIC! Nice method for getting to grips with the characters... Plants are hard because they're not man-made. Keep the colourful energy of these pictures in your animation and it'll shine through :)